Camping
Well it has been a while since my last post. I'm sure all of my readers (baby) will be happy to see an update.
This past weekend we (Todd, Abby, and I) went camping. It turned out to be quite the memorable camping weekend. We had rain to start out. Manged to get our tent set up before it started raining. Todd actually did a good job helping. More help than I've received before from first time campers. He was patient with me too. I forget sometimes not everyone camps all the time and is familiar with how the tent goes up. So after the tent was up we went down to the beach just to check it out. It was a little chilly and started to rain. We abandoned that idea and headed into town for some dinner. We ended up going to Pizza Hut. Not the best dinner but not the worst either. Stinker loved her marinara sauce and ranch dressing. Made a good mess out of her Derby shirt. After dinner we went back to camp to try and build a campfire for some smores. No luck there. Camp was too damp. So we again went into town for some ice cream. That was good but definitely no Baskin Robbins. Back to camp again...got cleaned up and ready for bed....
Abby loved the tent. Jumping around and running all over the sleeping bags. She was having herself a great time. Well about ten-thirty we told her to lie down it was time for bed. So we all laid down for bed. It was starting to rain and only continued throughout the night. At about 1:30am I couldn't wait any longer I had to get up and face the rain so I could go to the bathroom. After I got back from the bathroom the rain came down in a monsoon! It was horrible. About a half hour later the tent falls down on us. I get out and try to fix the poles and put the tent back in a standing position while Todd held up the inside. It was definitely more than a two person job. After I was soaked to the bone we decided it was best to abandon camp. We gathered all the stuff in the tent we could minus the sleeping mats and threw them in the car. Then got Abby up and put her in the car. Thank goodness she slept through most of it. Now about 2:30am we headed off to find a hotel to stay in for the night. We found a local joint that was something out of the 70s in decor but served as a dry sleeping space.
The next morning was still hazy and cloudy. We had to go back to camp to check out what condition our tent was in. It was full of puddles of water. After about 45 minutes of soaking up the water in the tent we decided to hit the beach for stinker was getting a little whiny about wanting to go swimming. So we left for the beach. Abby loved the waves and playing in her tube with her daddy. The two were such an adorable sight to see. Too bad we left the cameras in the car. The sun actually came out for a while. I manged to get the only sunburn. Bummer there but I made sure that my sweetie and his stinker were well coated in sunscreen. After a long day at the beach we went in search of another hotel to stay at since we decided it was best not to sleep in the tent again that night in case it rained again. No need to repeat a 2:30am search for a dry place to sleep. Found the hotel got showered and cleaned up from the day at the beach then hit up Steak and Shake for dinner. Dinner wasn't bad but not the best either. Seemed to be our luck of the weekend. Back to camp to take down the tent and pack up the car. Abby continued to test us with her ability to continue not to listen to whatever we said. That became a little frustrating for both of us but understandable in those conditions.
Finally, the tent was down and it was time for smores. We fiddle farted around for about 30-45 minutes trying to get a fire started. No luck. So we had to have the DNR come over and start a fire that would last long enough for smores. We had smores, which Abby loved the first one. Then decided that marshmallows were better alone. Campfire died off and we headed back to the hotel a few exits down on the highway. Abby was asleep as we got on the highway. It was a long day of fresh air for all of us.
Once in the hotel Todd snuggled up on the bed with Abby until she fell asleep while I got ready for bed. After stinker was asleep Todd headed down to the pool to sit in the hot tub, which turned out to not be that hot according to his report. I stayed in the room and tried to sleep. It was much needed rest after a long day.
Sunday morning we got up and went down to the pool. Swam for a bit. Then packed up our stuff and headed to Bob Evans for a good breakfast before getting on the road again.
It was quite a busy weekend and not too relaxing under the circumstances. Maybe next year it will be just the two of us allowing for a little more relaxing. It was a lot of fun though to see Abby's excitement to camp. She kept asking "we're going camping" "I want to go camping" all weekend when we were at the hotels. Poor girl only got to be in the tent for maybe four hours before it fell in on us. Oh well, I guess we can't have perfect weekends for camping all the time. It's just too bad that it had to be this weekend that sucked weather wise. Better luck next year.
This past weekend we (Todd, Abby, and I) went camping. It turned out to be quite the memorable camping weekend. We had rain to start out. Manged to get our tent set up before it started raining. Todd actually did a good job helping. More help than I've received before from first time campers. He was patient with me too. I forget sometimes not everyone camps all the time and is familiar with how the tent goes up. So after the tent was up we went down to the beach just to check it out. It was a little chilly and started to rain. We abandoned that idea and headed into town for some dinner. We ended up going to Pizza Hut. Not the best dinner but not the worst either. Stinker loved her marinara sauce and ranch dressing. Made a good mess out of her Derby shirt. After dinner we went back to camp to try and build a campfire for some smores. No luck there. Camp was too damp. So we again went into town for some ice cream. That was good but definitely no Baskin Robbins. Back to camp again...got cleaned up and ready for bed....
Abby loved the tent. Jumping around and running all over the sleeping bags. She was having herself a great time. Well about ten-thirty we told her to lie down it was time for bed. So we all laid down for bed. It was starting to rain and only continued throughout the night. At about 1:30am I couldn't wait any longer I had to get up and face the rain so I could go to the bathroom. After I got back from the bathroom the rain came down in a monsoon! It was horrible. About a half hour later the tent falls down on us. I get out and try to fix the poles and put the tent back in a standing position while Todd held up the inside. It was definitely more than a two person job. After I was soaked to the bone we decided it was best to abandon camp. We gathered all the stuff in the tent we could minus the sleeping mats and threw them in the car. Then got Abby up and put her in the car. Thank goodness she slept through most of it. Now about 2:30am we headed off to find a hotel to stay in for the night. We found a local joint that was something out of the 70s in decor but served as a dry sleeping space.
The next morning was still hazy and cloudy. We had to go back to camp to check out what condition our tent was in. It was full of puddles of water. After about 45 minutes of soaking up the water in the tent we decided to hit the beach for stinker was getting a little whiny about wanting to go swimming. So we left for the beach. Abby loved the waves and playing in her tube with her daddy. The two were such an adorable sight to see. Too bad we left the cameras in the car. The sun actually came out for a while. I manged to get the only sunburn. Bummer there but I made sure that my sweetie and his stinker were well coated in sunscreen. After a long day at the beach we went in search of another hotel to stay at since we decided it was best not to sleep in the tent again that night in case it rained again. No need to repeat a 2:30am search for a dry place to sleep. Found the hotel got showered and cleaned up from the day at the beach then hit up Steak and Shake for dinner. Dinner wasn't bad but not the best either. Seemed to be our luck of the weekend. Back to camp to take down the tent and pack up the car. Abby continued to test us with her ability to continue not to listen to whatever we said. That became a little frustrating for both of us but understandable in those conditions.
Finally, the tent was down and it was time for smores. We fiddle farted around for about 30-45 minutes trying to get a fire started. No luck. So we had to have the DNR come over and start a fire that would last long enough for smores. We had smores, which Abby loved the first one. Then decided that marshmallows were better alone. Campfire died off and we headed back to the hotel a few exits down on the highway. Abby was asleep as we got on the highway. It was a long day of fresh air for all of us.
Once in the hotel Todd snuggled up on the bed with Abby until she fell asleep while I got ready for bed. After stinker was asleep Todd headed down to the pool to sit in the hot tub, which turned out to not be that hot according to his report. I stayed in the room and tried to sleep. It was much needed rest after a long day.
Sunday morning we got up and went down to the pool. Swam for a bit. Then packed up our stuff and headed to Bob Evans for a good breakfast before getting on the road again.
It was quite a busy weekend and not too relaxing under the circumstances. Maybe next year it will be just the two of us allowing for a little more relaxing. It was a lot of fun though to see Abby's excitement to camp. She kept asking "we're going camping" "I want to go camping" all weekend when we were at the hotels. Poor girl only got to be in the tent for maybe four hours before it fell in on us. Oh well, I guess we can't have perfect weekends for camping all the time. It's just too bad that it had to be this weekend that sucked weather wise. Better luck next year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home